This delicious cake is made with fruit cocktail in the batter & has a streusel-nut topping. A boiled coconut topping is poured over the cake while hot. Quick, easy, economical..
Texas Tornado Cake
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Gold Medal UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour (bleached flour toughens baked goods)
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 cups fruit cocktail with syrup (16-oz. can)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Mix regular sugar, eggs, fruit cocktail, baking soda and flour.
- Pour into greased and floured 9×13” pan.
- Combine brown sugar and nuts; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 325° for 40 minutes.
- Spread icing on cake while hot.
Boiled Coconut Icing
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup coconut
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup evaporated milk or half-and-half
- Combine icing ingredients in saucepan and boil for 2 minutes.
- Spoon over cake while hot.
- Let cool; cut into squares.