A very tasty recipe for custard popovers. A special treat for any diner party.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp. butter or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk or whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Generously grease 10 muffin cups or 6 custard cups with shortening.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt. Add eggs, milk, and melted butter or margarine. Beat with a rotary beater or a wire whisk till smooth, about 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly between muffin or custard cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake 20 minutes longer. Turn off oven and let stand in warm oven for 10 minutes to become more crisp. Serve hot.
- In a sauce pan put sugar, salt and flour and mix well. Gradually add milk and mix well. Beat egg yolks separately and add to the mixture. Slowly bring to boil stirring constantly until thickened. Add butter and stir. Let it cool to room temperature or in a refrigerator. Add evaporated milk , vanilla, and brandy. Whip the mixture with mixer.
- Cut tops if necessary and fill popovers with custard just before serving.