photo credit: http://www.jamhands.net
Carrot Pineapple Cake
original recipe: http://www.jamhands.net/2008/02/finally-carrot-pineapple-cake-that-i.html
- 2 c. AP flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- 1 c. whole, toasted almonds
- 1 c. toasted pine nuts
- 1 c. olive oil
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. dark molasses
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 c. chopped fresh pineapple, or 1 (16 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 heaping cups shredded carrots
- 4 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese (room temp.)
- 2 sticks (1 c.) butter, room temperature
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- Half-and-half (as needed)
1. Preheat the oven to 350-f degrees. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, almonds, and pine nuts and mix very well.
2. In another large bowl, combine the olive oil, sugar, butter, brown sugar, eggs, molasses, maple syrup, pineapple, and carrots and mix well. Add them to the dry mixture. Mix very well.
3. Generously butter three 9-inch cake pans and dust with flour. Divide the cake batter evenly into the cake pans. Use a measuring cup for accuracy.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Insert a toothpick into the cakes to make sure the are done. The toothpick should come out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
To make the frosting:
1. With an electric mixer, mix the cream cheese, butter, sugar, and powdered sugar until fluffy, but stiff. Add half-and-half to thin.