"A simple vegetable dish that highlights the summer flavors of fresh tomatoes and zucchini. It goes great with grilled meats or poultry
Tomato Zucchini Casserole
makes 4 Servings
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced
- 5 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly butter a 9x9-inch pan.
- In a large bowl, combine Cheddar, Parmesan, oregano, basil, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Arrange half of the zucchini slices in the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese and herb mixture on top. Arrange half of the tomatoes, and top with another 1/4 of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions, and cook until soft and translucent. Stir in breadcrumbs; cook until they have absorbed the butter. Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Cover loosely with foil, and bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake until the top is crusty and the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.