photo: grandma loy's kitchen
Frozen Peaches & Cream Crisp
- 2 c. quick rolled oats
- 1/2 c. finely chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
- 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese softened (can be 1/3 less fat, but I’m not sure why one would bother considering the other ingredients)
- 1 c. powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 c. frozen whipped topping,thawed
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk (or make your own)
- 1 c. pureed peaches (about 4 small peaches)
- 2 c. (1 pt.) whipping cream, whipped till soft peaks form
- 1-2 additional peaches, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 drops each red and yellow food coloring
Combine oats, nuts, brown sugar, and melted butter mixing well. Measure out 1 c. and spread evenly in an 8-in. square pan. Do not press down. Put remaining mixture into a 9x13-in. baking pan (preferably one with a cover) and press down evenly to form a crust. Bake both pans at 375 degrees 8-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven. Set crust pan aside to cool 30-45 minutes. When cool enough to touch, crumble mixture in 8-in. pan with your fingers and set aside.
In a medium bowl combine softened cream cheese and powdered sugar stirring until well blended. Fold in whipped topping until well blended. Spread mixture over cooled oat crust. Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
Peel, chop and puree peaches, using a blender or food processor. In a large bowl mix peach puree and sweetened condensed milk until very well blended. Gently fold in the whipped whipping cream until very well combined. Fold in chopped peaches. Add the red and yellow food coloring and mix well, adding additional coloring until the desired shade is reached. Pour this mixture over cream cheese mixture in pan.
Sprinkle the reserved oat mixture over the top. Cover tightly with a piece of plastic wrap. Place in freezer and freeze at least 6 hours. To serve, remove from freezer, cut into squares with a moistened kitchen knife and place on dessert plates. Makes 15 servings. For extended storage cover dessert tightly.