Cream Custard Puffs
original recipe: http://www.opensourcefood.com/people/Chengaleng/recipes/cream-custard-puffs
- 150g butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 6 eggs (60g) (Usually 5 1/2 eggs)
- 6 tbs custard powder
- 4 tbs caster sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 300ml Cream
- 250g dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius
- Line baking trays with baking paper
- Thoroughly mix custard powder and caster sugar with milk and water
- Heat on low, stirring constantly for 2 min until it thickens
- Set aside to cool in fridge
- Heat water, milk and butter till it just starts to boil and butter melts
- Add all the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until pastry comes off the sides
- Set aside to cool for 10 min.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl
- Gradually mix egg into flour mixture. You can stop adding the egg once the batter reaches desired consistency.
- Batter should just fall off the spoon but still hold its shape
- Spoons teaspoons of mixture onto lined baking tray.
- Bake for about 20 min or until golden and puffy
- Remove puffs from oven and make a slit in the side to let steam escape.
- Place puffs back in the oven for another 10 minutes till crisp
- Place puffs on a baking tray to cool.
- In the meantime, melt chocolate in a double boiler and keep warm
- Beat cooled custard to remove lumps.
- Add cream and whisk until peaks form.
- Remove soft pastry from the inside of the cooled puffs and spoon or pipe custard cream into the puffs
- Spoon and spread chocolate over each puff.
- Chill puffs in the fridge till chocolate hardens