- oil, for frying
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced thyme
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup very fine bacon crumbles
- 1 cup fresh picked blue crabmeat
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, thyme, baking powder, salt, garlic pepper, baking soda and cayenne pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream. Add to cornmeal mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in onions, bacon, and crabmeat.
- Dip spoon into water and then a spoonful of the hushpuppy mixture. This will allow mixture to easily fall off the spoon. Drop by tablespoonfuls into hot oil, and fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
original recipe: http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/crab_hushpuppies/