photo credit: http://www.marthastewart.com
Caribbean Shrimp Kebabs
original recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/340633/caribbean-shrimp-kebabs
- 32 medium shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 large red bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 24 pieces (about 11/2 inches each)
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for grill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder (preferably Madras)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- coarse salt
- Cilantro Dipping Sauce
Heat grill to high. Assemble 8 kebabs (using 2 short skewers for each), alternating 4 shrimp with 3 pieces of pepper on each. Arrange skewers in a nonmetallic dish.
In a small bowl, whisk together rum, oil, curry powder, allspice, and cayenne. Pour marinade over skewers, and turn to coat. Let stand 5 minutes. Season with salt.
Lightly oil grates. Place skewers on grill; cover grill, and cook until grill marks are visible and shrimp are opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Season with more salt, if desired. Serve with sauce.