This is my new favorite dinner. It was easy and tasted fantastic. Serves 6. You can always feed more by adding more pasta and water. Recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Sausage and Spinach Penne Skillet Supper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian-style turkey sausage, casings removed (I couldn’t find turkey sausage so I substituted mild pork sausage)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced finely
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed and chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces (about 3 1/2 cups) penne pasta
- 1 (6-ounce) bag baby spinach
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot and add in the sausage. Cook until lightly browned and no longer pink about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the water, broth, sun-dried tomatoes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, then add in the pasta. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook at a strong simmer, stirring often, until the pasta is tender and the liquid has thickened, about 15-18 minutes (if you find the liquid is absorbing too quickly and the pasta is still undercooked, add a bit more water in small amounts until the pasta is cooked thoroughly).
- Stir in the spinach, a handful at at ime, and cook until wilted. Off the heat, stir in the cheese and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper to taste adn serve immediately.