original recipe: http://www.recipe.com/tostada-pizza-1/?socsrc=recpin112912tostadapizza
- 1 poundlean ground beef
- 3/4 cupwater
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chilie peppers, drained
- 1/2 1 1/2 ounce envelope (about 2 tablespoons) taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoonchili powder
- 1 tablespooncornmeal
- 1 10 ounce package refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans with jalapeno peppers, rinsed and drained
- 1 cupshredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (4 ounces
- 1 cupshredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cupthinly sliced green onions (4)
- Bottled taco sauce (optional)
In a large skillet cook ground beef until brown. Drain off fat. Stir in the water, chile peppers, taco seasoning mix, and chili powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone.
Meanwhile, grease a baking sheet and sprinkle with the cornmeal. Pat pizza dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle on the baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 5 minutes.
In a small bowl mash pinto beans with a fork. Spread beans over partially baked dough to within 1/2 inch of edges. Spoon meat mixture over beans. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes more or until crust is just golden. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake 1 to 2 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Top with lettuce, tomato, and green onions. If desired, serve with taco sauce. Makes 6 servings.