Easy Apple Crumble with Vanilla Custard Sauce
- Apples - 500gm (about 2-3 medium-sized apples)
- Wheat flour / atta - 1 cup
- Salted butter - 100gm + a bit for greasing
- Sugar - 2tbsp + 2 tbsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Lemon juice - a few drops (optional)
- Cinnamom stick - 1 (optional)
1. Wash peel and chop the apples. Add a few drops of lemon juice to prevent browning. Mix in 2tbsp sugar and cook on a low fire until soft and mushy. Set aside to cool.
2. Mix salt and 2tbsp sugar with the flour. Lightly mix in the butter without kneading until you get a mixture that resembles bread crumbs.
3. Grease a pie dish/cake tray with butter. Lay the cooked apples evenly. Add the flour mixture evenly on top and press down gently. Sprinkle sugar on top.
4. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 25-30 mins.
Serve warm with chilled vanilla custard sauce (recipes below).
There are two options for the sauce. An eggless version and a slightly easier version with egg. I make the one with the egg but you pick depending on whether you cook with eggs or not.
Vanilla Custard Sauce (with egg)
Beat with a fork, 1 egg yolk with 1 teaspoon cornflour and add 2 tablespoon sugar with that. Add one cup warm milk and beat well again. Cook on a low fire stirring constantly until pouring custard consistency. Add 1/2 tsp vanila essence, cool, chill and serve with warm apple crumble.
Vanilla Custard Sauce (eggless)
Blend vanilla flavoured custard powder with 1.5 cups of milk and 4 tbsp sugar (adjust to taste). Cook on a low fire until pouring consistency. Cool, chill and serve with warm apple crumble.
I don't bother with triangular shaped pieces. Just pile them on, top up with the sauce and dig in!