photo credit: http://dough-puncher.blogspot.com
Coconut Cream Pie
original recipe: Dough Puncher - http://dough-puncher.blogspot.com/2011/06/coconut-cream-pie.html
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cups shortening
- 5-7 Tbs. cold water (or coconut water)
1) Cut shortening into flour, until shortening is in pea-sized pieces. Stir in water as needed, until just combined.
2) Roll out on a floured surface, and place in a 9-inch pie plate. Crimp edges. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, until lightly golden. Let cool.
For the Vanilla Coconut Pudding:
- 2 2/3 cups whole milk (1/2 evaporated milk and half water is a great substitute for whole milk!)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (don't do the flour substitute, just use cornstarch)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups sweetened, flake coconut
1) In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk and egg well (so they are COMPLETELY) incorporated. Add the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Cook over medium heat, whisking often, until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir in coconut. Pour into cooled crust. Place in refrigerator for a few hours, or until chilled.
For the Whipped Cream and Topping:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 T. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup coconut
1) Combine cream, sugar, and vanilla. Whip until light and fluffy. Spread on top of chilled pie.
2) Spread coconut on a pan. In a 350 oven, toast for about 2-4 minutes, until lightly golden. Sprinkle evenly on top of the pie.
To Make This Super Fast:
1) Store-bought refrigerated Pie Crust dough, fitted into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
2) Prepare a box of vanilla pudding mix, stir in 1 cup coconut (or more to taste), pour into cooled pie crust. Put in the fridge until chilled.
3) Spread an 8 0z container of Cool Whip on the top.
4) Toast 1 cup coconut in a 350 degree oven for 2-4 minutes, until lightly golden. Sprinkle evenly over pie.