Enjoy this delicious chocolate dessert - creamy cake topped with hazelnuts.
Mocha-Hazelnut Cream-Filled Cake
1 box (18.25 oz) butter recipe chocolate cake mix
2 teaspoons instant coffee granules or crystals
2 bags (12 oz each) semisweet chocolate chips
1 bottle (16 oz) refrigerated hazelnut-flavor coffee creamer
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts (filberts)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms only of two 9-inch round pans. Prepare cake mix as directed on box using butter, water and eggs and adding coffee granules; pour batter into pans. Bake as directed on box. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans and place on wire racks.
- In 3-quart saucepan, cook chocolate chips and coffee creamer over medium-low heat about 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until melted. Remove from heat; beat in cream cheese with wire whisk until smooth. Cover; refrigerate about 30 minutes.
- In small microwavable bowl, reserve 1/2 cup of the chocolate mixture; set aside for topping. Beat remaining mixture on medium-high speed 8 minutes or until it forms a light and fluffy frosting.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate, rounded side down. Spread 1-inch-thick layer of frosting over cake. Top with second cake layer, rounded side up. Spread frosting on side and top of cake.
- Microwave reserved 1/2 cup chocolate mixture on High 30 seconds or until soft; spread over top of cake. Sprinkle hazelnuts around top edge. Cover loosely; refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Store in refrigerator.