Kevin's Famous Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb Package of Pasta (Conchiglioni, Elbow Macaroni or Penne)
- 1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/8 Cup Diced Bacon, Dry Salami or Pancetta
- 1/8 Cup Chopped Green Onion
- 1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 TBSP of Pureed Garlic
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 TBSP Garlic Powder
- 1 TBSP of Kosher Sea Salt
- 1 TBSP Dry Mustard
- 1 TBSP Paprika (Sweet or Hot)
- 1 TSP Ground Nutmeg (Freshly Ground Preferred)
- 2 to 2 1/2 Cups of Whole Milk
- 1/2 Cup of Grated Parmesan
- 2 Cups of Finely Shredded Italian Cheese (Mozzarella, Provolone or Fontina)
- 1 Cup of Finely Shredded Cheddar (Sharp, Medium or Mild)
Lightly grease deep oval casserole dish or dutch oven with 1/2 TBSP of Olive Oil.
Sauté Bacon, Dry Salami or Pancetta in 1/2 TBSP of Olive Oil in skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Turn off heat, drain and set aside on paper towel to cool.
Boil Pasta according to directions on package, approximately 7-8 minutes in 5 quarts of water. Drain pasta and set aside.
To make the cream sauce, use a large skillet or saucepan. Heat 1/4 cup of Olive Oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add Pureed Garlic and stir for approximately 2 minutes. Add Flour and stir until combined. Add Garlic Powder, Salt, Dry Mustard, Paprika and Nutmeg. Stir until combined. Lower heat to medium-low and add milk slowly. Stir continuously for approximately 10-15 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to coat spoon. Turn off heat and set aside to cool for 3-4 minutes.
Add cooked pasta to casserole dish or dutch oven. Pour cream sauce over pasta and stir to combine. Add Parmesan and Finely Shredded Italian Cheese and combine well.Combine Cheddar and Green Onion with Bacon, Salami or Pancetta in a dish and then sprinkle mixture over the top evenly.
Bake covered at 350F for 15 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.