I was craving apple fritters but wasn't able to get to the donut shop. So I looked around to find on hand ingredients to satisfy my craving. I didn't have apples, but I had some very nice ripe bananas. That's when I came up with these. You won't be disappointed. They look kind of ugly at first, but taste delicious! I'll never go back to a donut shop for fritters again. (I tried left over pineapple and grated apple too, they were also good.)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 quart oil for frying
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar for dusting
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Mix in milk, eggs and margarine until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir dry ingredients into banana mixture.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or heavy bottomed pan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Drop batter by spoonfuls into hot oil, and cook, turning once, until browned, 2 to 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels and dust with confectioners' sugar.