USS Missouri Buttermilk Pie
Makes: 8 servings
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 1 recipe Pastry for Single-Crust Pie (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted**
- In a large bowl, gradually beat sugar into softened butter with an electric mixer, beating until mixture is well blended.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour and salt. Gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture.
- Beat in buttermilk until mixture is well blended. Pour into the Pastry for Single-Crust Pie.
- Sprinkle pecans over the filling in piecrust.
- Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 1 hour and 15 to 20 minutes or until the buttermilk filling is set. Cool. Store pie in the refrigerator. Makes 8 servings.
* To make 1 cup sour milk, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup liquid; stir. Let the mixture stand for 5 minutes before using it in a recipe.
** To toast the chopped pecans, spread them evenly in a shallow baking pan. Bake the pecans in a 350 degree F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until they're browned, stirring the pecans once or twice during the baking time.