Pecan & Salted Caramel Candies
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 4-ounce block of caramel, cut into 16 pieces; or 16 caramel candies
- 16 bittersweet chocolate disks (1″ to 1 1/2″ disks)
- a pinch of Fleur de Sel or other sea salt, to garnish each candy
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2) Divide the pecans into 16 small piles on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet (a scant 2 teaspoons pecans each).
3) Flatten each caramel cube into the size of a half dollar, and place on the pecans.
4) Heat in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes, until the caramel softens and begins to melt.
5) Remove from the oven; wait 1 minute, then top each cluster with one disk of chocolate, pressing it into the softened caramel gently.
6) Top each candy with a few flakes of Fleur de Sel, or other coarse sea salt.
7) Allow the caramel and chocolate to cool and set before removing candies from the pan.
Yield: 16 candies.
original recipe: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/pecan-and-salted-caramel-candies-recipe