photo: Kristine at Food.com
Scandinavian Almond Bars
original recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/scandinavian-almond-bars-103703
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup margarine or 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-4 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- 3In a large bowl beat margarine or butter till softened.
- Add sugar and beat till fluffy.
- Add egg and the 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract and beat well.
- Add the flour mixture and beat till well mixed.
- Divide the dough into fourths, form each portion into a 12 inch roll.
- Place 2 of the rolls 4 to 5-inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten each roll till it is about 3 inches wide.
- Repeat with the remaining rolls.
- Brush each flattened roll with milk and sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of almonds each.
- Bake in a 325° oven for 12-14 minutes or till edges are lightly brown.
- While still warm, cut crosswise on the diagonal into 1 inch strips.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Stir together the powdered sugar, the almond extract and enough of the 3-4 teaspoons of milk to make a drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle over the cool bars.