photo credit: http://picky-palate.com
Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Spice Buttercream
original recipe: http://picky-palate.com/2011/10/06/double-chocolate-pumpkin-cake-with-pumpkin-spice-buttercream/
- 1 box devils food cake mix
- 1 small box instant chocolate pudding
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 15 ounce can pumpkin (reserving 2 Tablespoons for buttercream)
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pumpkin Spice Buttercream
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons reserved pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray two 9×5 inch bread pans with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a stand or electric mixer, place cake mix, pudding mix, oil, buttermilk, eggs, sour cream and can of pumpkin, and chocolate chips–mix all ingredients until well combined, about 1 to 2 minutes. Divide cake batter evenly into prepared bread pans. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until cooked through.
3. While cakes are baking prepare the buttercream. Place butter, reserved 2 tablespoons pumpkin and cinnamon into stand or electric mixer. Mix on high until well combined. Slowly add the powdered sugar until thick and creamy. Slowly add the milk until buttercream is a nice consistency. Frost over cooled cakes, slice and serve.
Makes 16 servings
Note: This recipe can be used to make 24 cupcakes as well. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes, until baked through.