Brings the carnival home to you.. I absolutely loved this! It tasted just like the funnel cakes at the amusement parks,,
Classic Funnel Cakes
makes 12 to 20 cakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, or as needed
- Mix salt, baking powder, and half the flour in a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream eggs, sugar, and milk in a large bowl. Add flour mixture and beat until smooth. Continue to add remaining flour, but use only enough to achieve desired consistency. Batter will be thin enough to run through a funnel.
- Heat the oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) in an 8-inch skillet.
- Put your finger over the bottom opening of the funnel, and fill the funnel with a generous 1/2 cup of the batter. Hold the funnel close to the surface of the oil, and release the batter into the oil while making a circular motion. Fry until golden brown. Use tongs and wide spatula to turn the cake over carefully. Fry the second side one minute. Drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with sifted confectioners' sugar.