Eggs combine with cheese, bacon, and bread to become a fluffy cheese strata that no one can resist! This is an easy recipe for guys who want to surprise that special someone with breakfast in bed!
Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Strata
makes 1 - 9x13 inch pan
- 12 thick slices white bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 12 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Toss cubed bread with bacon, cheese, and mushrooms, and pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Whisk together eggs, half-and-half, and mustard until smooth, then pour evenly over cubed bread. Cover dish with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Remove plastic wrap from the baking dish, and bake strata in preheated oven until the top is golden brown, and the eggs are set, about 1 hour. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.