There is nothing more autumn like than having a big slice of apple pie. However, making a whole pie can get a little overwhelming at times. So, I took the work out of pie making by giving you all the flavor plus a little more! A classic yellow cupcake has been filled with homemade spice-filled apple pie filling and then topped with creamy cinnamon buttercream frosting. This is the cupcake that will make you a star at your next family gathering!
Apple Pie Cupcakes
Yields 24 cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 4 medium-size apples (peeled, cored and cubed)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Prepare cake mix according to box directions and divide mix into 24 lined cupcake tins. Follow box directions and cook until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are baking start to prepare the filling. Add your cut apples to a sided pan and add brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook till apples are soft and the sauce starts to cook down.
- In a small bowl add the cold water and stir with cornstarch. Add to hot apple mixture and cook till it starts to get thick.
- Take off the heat and let cool before you fill cupcakes.
- Cut a small cone shape out of the middle of the cupcake and fill with cooled apple pie filling.
- Top with cinnamon buttercream frosting.
Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
Yields 2 cups
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons heavy cream or half-and-half
- In the bowl of an electric mixer add butter, cinnamon and salt.
- Beat until combined and start to slowly add powdered sugar. Once the icing starts to become fluffy slowly add in heavy cream a tablespoon at a time. Beat until desired consistency is reached. Add more heavy cream to thin out icing if necessary.