Summer Squash Puffs
- 1 quart oil for frying
- 4 summer squash, cut into chunks.
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dry corn muffin mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy skillet or deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Place the squash in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and mash.
- In a bowl, mix 2 cups squash*, onion, and eggs. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, corn muffin mix, baking powder, and salt. Thoroughly blend the squash mixture into the flour mixture.
- Drop the squash and flour mixture by rounded tablespoons into the hot oil, and fry until evenly brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels.