The original sausage cheese biscuit
original recipe: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sausage-and-cheese-scones-recipe
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Pizza Dough Flavor, optional
- 1/2 cup butter, cut in pats
- 1 cup yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream (low-fat is fine)
- 2 cups cooked, sliced breakfast sausage links (1/2" pieces)
- 1 cup diced cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Pizza Dough Flavor. Add the butter, cut in pats.
- Work in the butter till the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the sausage and cheese, mixing to distribute. Add the yogurt, buttermilk, or sour cream.
- Mix just till everything is evenly moistened.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment or a lightly floured work surface. Pat and roll it into an 8" x 10" rectangle about 3/4" thick.
- Cut the dough into twenty 2" squares.
- If you've been working on parchment, simply lift the parchment onto a baking sheet. Separate the biscuits so there's about 1" between them. If the biscuits aren't on parchment, space them on a lightly greased baking sheet, leaving about 1" between them.
- Bake the biscuits for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they're a medium- to deep-golden brown.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven, and cool them on a rack briefly. Serve warm.