photo credit: http://www.alexandracooks.com
Teddie’s Apple Cake
original recipe: http://www.alexandracooks.com/2011/11/16/cooking-with-my-mama-%E2%80%94-teddies-apple-cake/
- Butter for greasing pan
- 3 cups flour, plus more for dusting pan
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups peeled, cored and thickly sliced tart apples, like Honeycrisp or Granny Smith*
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (I omitted — I prefer baked goods without nuts)
- 1 cup raisins (Also omitted — I prefer baked goods without raisins)
- Vanilla ice cream (optional, definitely optional — I prefer this cake for breakfast)
*I used a mix of Fuji, York and Cameo — use whatever you have on hand or whatever variety you prefer to bake with
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch tube pan. Beat the oil and sugar together in a mixer (fitted with a paddle attachment) while assembling the remaining ingredients. After about 5 minutes, add the eggs and beat until the mixture is creamy.
2. Sift together 3 cups of flour, the salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Stir into the batter. Add the vanilla, apples, walnuts (if using) and raisins (if using) and stir until combined.
3. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan before turning out. Serve at room temperature with vanilla ice cream, if desired.