photo credit: http://www.marthastewart.com
Lighter Sesame Chicken
original recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/313256/lighter-sesame-chicken
- 3/4 cup brown rice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or crushed with a garlic press
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 2-inch chunks
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli, cut into large florets, stems peeled and thinly sliced
Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, and fill with 1 inch water; set aside for broccoli. Cook rice according to package instructions.
Meanwhile, make sauce: In a small bowl, combine honey, sesame seeds, soy sauce, and garlic; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites and cornstarch. Add chicken; season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add half the chicken; cook, turning occasionally, until golden and opaque throughout, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and chicken. Return all the chicken to skillet; add reserved sauce and scallions, and toss to coat.
Meanwhile, place saucepan with steamer basket over high heat; bring water to a boil. Add broccoli, and cook until crisp-tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Serve sesame chicken with broccoli and rice.