photo credit: http://www.bakersroyale.com
original recipe: http://www.bakersroyale.com/cupcakes/gingerbread-latte-cupcakes/
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup strong, very hot coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced crystallized ginger
To make the cupcakes:
Add flour, the ground ginger, the cinnamon, the cloves, the allspice, and the salt in a bowl and sifc.
Add 1/2 stick of the butter and granulated sugar in bowl and beat until mixture is pale and fluffy. Add molasses and egg beat until the mixture is smooth. In a measuring cup combine the baking soda with 1/2 cup very hot strong coffee water and stir until baking soda is dissolved. Stir the baking soda mixture into the molasses mixture (the mixture will appear curdled) and the combined molasses and baking soda mixture into the flour mixture, stir until ingredients are well combined.
Fill cupcake liners halfway. Bake the cupcakes on the middle rack of a 350 degree °F. oven for about 20 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. (Cupcakes will be flat on top.) Transfer the cupcakes to a rack to cool completely before frosting.
To make the Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
Add cream cheese, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla into a bowl and beat until fluffy and smooth. Add in the zest and lemon juice and beat to combine. Chill frosting for 30 minutes before using.